Recipe Match for Southern Rhône Reds
Lamb Kebabs with Israeli Couscous Salad
- 1 3/4 pound leg of lamb, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 8.8 ounce package of Israeli couscous
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup ajvar (red pepper spread)
- 1/2 cup cubed feta
- 3 cups shredded kale, ribs removed
- 24 mini sweet peppers, tops removed and seeded
- 1/2 red onion, quartered
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for about 20 minutes
1. Heat 2 1/2 cups of water, seasoned liberally with salt, in a large pot until boiling.
2. While water is heating, whisk the lemon juice and olive oil together until the mixture emulsifies. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Season the lamb with salt and pepper, then pour one-third of the lemon juice–olive oil mixture over the cubes. Marinate for at least 5 minutes.
4. Combine the sweet peppers and red onion quarters in a bowl and pour one-third of the lemon juice–olive oil mixture over them.
5. Use the remaining lemon juice mixture to dress the kale, adding just enough to lightly coat the leaves. Toss the kale to combine thoroughly, massaging the leaves until they turn dark green and take on a silkier texture. Set aside.
6. Add the Israeli couscous to the boiling water. Cook until just al dente, approximately 8 minutes. Drain the couscous and run under cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
7. Assemble the eight skewers. Begin with a slice or two of red onion, followed by a pepper and a cube of lamb, and repeat 3 times per skewer.
8. Heat a grill pan on medium-high. Cook the skewers 2 to 3 minutes per side (for medium-rare), flipping once. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan; work in batches as needed. Season skewers with salt and pepper, if desired, as they are removed from heat. Tent with aluminum foil and set aside to rest.
9. In a large bowl, combine the Israeli couscous with the ajvar spread. Once the couscous is evenly coated, add the kale and feta cheese and toss lightly to combine.
10. Mound the couscous salad on a platter and top with the lamb skewers. Serves 4.
For more recipe matches for Grenache and Grenache-based blends, WineSpectator.com members can use our Recipe Search.
Follow our twice-monthly 8 & $20 recipe series for easy dishes for weeknight meals or casual entertaining. Each is paired with a great value wine.