Recipe Match for Merlot
Bacon Béchamel Mac & Cheese with Sharp Cheddar
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 quart milk
- 1/4 cup grated white New York Cheddar
- 1/4 cup grated yellow New York Cheddar
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound macaroni
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Heat bacon fat in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour to create a roux. Add shallot and garlic, and cook until translucent. Add white wine and reduce almost completely, then add milk and cheese, and bring to a simmer. The béchamel should be nice and thick.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add salt. Cook macaroni to your liking, drain and mix with the béchamel. Pour into an oven-safe casserole dish and top with the breadcrumbs. Bake until golden-brown, about 45 minutes. Serves 6.
For more recipe matches for Merlot, WineSpectator.com members can use our Recipe Search.