Recipe Match for Napa Cabernet
Roasted Beef Filet With Tomato-Cumin and Avocado–Pumpkin Seed Salsas
To make the avocado–pumpkin seed salsa:
- 2 tablespoons peanut or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 ripe but firm Hass avocados
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons roasted, peeled and minced pasilla chile
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and sauté, shaking often, for about 3 minutes, until they begin to pop and smell toasted. Alternatively, roast the seeds in a 375° F oven, shaking the pan occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes, until toasted. Pour onto a plate and let cool.
2. Cut the avocados in half, and remove the pits. Holding an avocado half in your hand, cut the flesh into 1-inch strips with a paring knife, being careful not to cut through the skin. Make 1/2-inch crosswise cuts, then scoop the dice out into a bowl. Repeat with the remaining avocado halves.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil, and continue to whisk until fully emulsified.
4. Pour the oil mixture over the avocados. Add the cilantro, chives, pumpkin seeds and chile, and mix gently to avoid mashing up the avocado. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.
To make the tomato-cumin salsa:
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 5 small or 3 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts only, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.
To make the roast beef filet:
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 pounds beef filet, cleaned and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 500° F. Rub the spices all over the filet and place it on a rack laid in a pan.
2. Pour the melted butter over the filet just before putting it in the oven. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes to achieve medium-rare. Remove, and let rest and cool before slicing.
Bring the salsas to room temperature. Spread a spoonful of the tomato-cumin salsa on each serving plate, and place two slices of the filet in the center. Top each slice with a healthy spoonful each of the tomato-cumin salsa and avocado–pumpkin seed salsa. Serves 6.