Recipe Match for Chianti Classico
Cacio e Pepe
- 1/2 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
1. In a large pot, bring 1 1/2 gallons of water to a boil with 1/2 tablespoon of salt. Add pasta and cook for 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the pasta water.
2. Place 3 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is bubbling, add the pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the pepper is fragrant but the butter has not browned.
3. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water to the skillet, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 minute. Add the pasta, both cheeses and remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Toss to coat and simmer for about 2 minutes until the sauce has slightly thickened and the pasta is al dente. If the sauce is too thick, add more of the reserved pasta water 1 tablespoon at a time.
4. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Plate pasta and sprinkle with extra parmesan. Serves 4.