Recipe Match for Super Tuscans
Grilled Steak with au Poivre Sauce
- Steaks, 1 to 2 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 teaspoon beef demiglace (or beef broth concentrate)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- Salt, to taste
To make the au poivre sauce:
1. Bring the brandy to a boil in a small skillet, or microwave it in a 1-cup measuring cup for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool.
2. In a small bowl, mix the cooled brandy with the demiglace, pepper and crème fraîche. Add salt to taste, or fold in more crème fraîche if mixture is too salty. (Commercial beef broth base can be quite salty.) Serve in a small cup on the side.
To make the steaks:
1. Season wth salt and pepper.
2. Cook on a charcoal or gas grill according to your preferred method, until an instant-read thermometer registers 125° F for rare, 130° F for medium-rare, 140° F for medium or 155° F for well-done. Let steaks stand for 5 minutes. To keep portions reasonable, cut larger steaks across the grain into thick slices.
For dozens more recipe matches for super Tuscans and other Cabernet blends, WineSpectator.com members can use our Recipe Search.