Recipe Match for Powerful Portuguese Reds
Sautéed Pork Chops with Tomatoes, Okra and Black Olives
• 4 boneless pork chops, around 3/4-inch thick
• 1 lemon
• 1 onion, thinly sliced
• 5 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped (or 1 32-ounce can of chopped tomatoes)
• 1 pound okra
• 1/2 cup black pitted olives, such as Niçoise
• 1/2 cup coarse cornmeal
1. In a large bowl, marinate the pork chops in a mix of the juice from the lemon with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Reserve.
2. In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion slices and cook until soft, around three minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and continue cooking until the tomatoes have softened and broken down into a chunky sauce. Add the whole okra and the black olives and cook until the okra is tender, around 10 to 12 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
3. Remove the pork chops from the marinade and pat dry with a paper towel. Dredge the pork chops in the cornmeal and then season with salt. In a large sauté pan, heat two tablespoons of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops to the pan and cook until browned on one side, then flip, lower the heat to medium, cover and continue to cook until the pork chops are done, around 2 to 3 minutes a side. Remove the pork chops from the pan and serve immediately with the okra and tomato sauce mix on the side. Serves 4.