Recipe Match for Nebbiolo
Manzo in Squazet (Beef Ragù Over Pasta)
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, minced
- 3 pounds stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 beef marrow bones
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Refosco or other dry red wine
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds penne pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano, plus additional as desired
1. Place the porcini in a cup of hot water to soften, about 10 minutes. Strain the liquid through a filter or cheesecloth, and reserve. Coarsely chop the porcini.
2. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and sauté until transparent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the beef and bones, and sauté 10 minutes longer.
3. Securely wrap the rosemary, bay leaves and cloves in cheesecloth. Add the herbs, salt and wine to the pot, raise the heat to high, and cook until the wine is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat, add the porcini and reserved mushroom liquid, and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the tomato paste and 2 cups chicken stock. Add the mixture to the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, until the sauce thickens, about 2 hours. As the mixture cooks, gradually add the remaining stock to obtain a thick, chunky texture. Remove the herbs and bones. This should yield about 6 cups of sauce.
5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and add the pasta. Stir often, and cook until al dente. Drain well.
6. In a large, warm bowl, combine the pasta with 1 1/2 cups of the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese, and mix well. Divide the pasta between 8 plates, and top with the beef and more sauce. Sprinkle cheese over the pasta if desired, and serve immediately. Serves 8.
For more recipe matches for Nebbiolo, WineSpectator.com members can use our Recipe Search.