Strip Roast Recipe Match for Napa Cabernet
New York Strip Roast with Chanterelle Compote
- 1 5-pound New York strip, fat trimmed to 1/4-inch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 1/4 pounds chanterelles (or shiitake mushrooms with stems removed), wiped with a damp towel and sliced
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 24 scallions, trimmed and cut into long strips
- 4 red bell peppers, seeded and julienned
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and julienned
- 1 cup beef stock
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Rub the meat with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and place it on a rack inside a roasting pan.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the wine, vinegar, shallots, 1/4 pound of the chanterelles, 1 teaspoon of the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Simmer over medium heat until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid is almost completely reduced, about 10 minutes. Cool, and blend in 3 tablespoons of the butter. Set aside.
3. Place the meat in the oven, and roast until it reaches an internal temperature of 135° F for medium-rare, about 1 hour. Loosely cover with foil, and let stand for 20 minutes.
4. Heat a large skillet over high heat, and melt the remaining butter. Add the remaining chanterelles, and sauté, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the remaining garlic, scallions, bell peppers and chiles, and sauté until the vegetables just begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the vegetables onto a warm platter, and cover with foil.
5. Return the skillet to the stove, increase the heat to high, and add the stock. Scrape off any bits on the bottom. Cook the stock until it is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the chanterelle butter and any meat juices from the roast, and cook until the sauce comes together, 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Slice the beef as desired, and transfer to a serving platter or plates. Top the slices with the chanterelle compote, and surround with the sauce. Serve immediately. Serves 8 to 10.
For dozens more recipe matches for Cabernet Sauvignon, WineSpectator.com members can use our Recipe Search.