Recipe Match for California Rhône-Style Reds
Roasted Chicken with Carrots and Cumin
- 12 heirloom carrots, mixed colors
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole cumin seed
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups orange carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ounces white wine
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- Sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, from a 4-pound bird, tenderloins removed
- Canola oil
1. Preheat the oven to 450° F. Toss the heirloom carrots with the olive oil and the whole cumin, and season with salt. Arrange in a single layer on top of the thyme in a roasting pan and roast in the oven until they are well-colored and easily pierced with the tip of a knife, about 25 minutes. Cool and slice into discs and planks. Reheat in the oven when ready to serve.
2. Reduce oven temperature to 350° F. In a wide, shallow pan, heat 3 tablespoons of butter until foaming and add the orange carrots. Season with salt, cover and roast until very soft, about 40 minutes. Add wine and reduce by three-quarters.
3. Remove half the mixture to a clean pan. To this, add half the ground cumin seed and cook over medium heat until aromatic. Cool to room temperature. Mash well with a fork. Reheat when ready to serve, adding a tablespoon of butter and Sherry vinegar to taste. Stir in the parsley.
4. To the reserved whole carrots, add water to cover, and simmer until they break down. Drain, puree fine and strain through a sieve. Season to taste with salt, and keep hot until ready to serve.
5. Heat the oven to 350° F. Season the chicken breast well with salt. In an ovenproof sauté pan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sear the chicken skin-side down, and finish in the oven, about 15 minutes (juices should run clear when you prick the thickest part with a knife). Remove to rest in a warm place.
6. To serve, divide the carrot puree among 4 entrée plates. Plate the roasted carrots on top of the puree, and a quenelle of the carrot mash on the side of the plate. Plate the rested chicken breasts on top of the roasted carrots. Garnish with a sprinkle of ground cumin. Serves 4.
For dozens more recipe matches for Rhône-style reds, WineSpectator.com members can use our Recipe Search.